Friday

Best Weather

I need your feedback on this one.

I have gone over the numbers from the weather station closest to Two Rivers, WI, the northern mid lake MI buoy, and the station at Big Sable Point, MI.

I wanted to pick a week where, historically, we will have a good chance of favorable weather.

I was looking though the yearly historical data for the following:

-water temp. in the surface layer that is accomodating.
-wind speed 12kts. plus, gusts below 24 kts.
-wind direction same or relatively the same at all three stations throughout the day.
-wind speed fairly similar throughout the day.
-winds not too calm in a.m. for start by 10am
-wind direction generally out of the W.N.W.
-air temp that changes only minimally from 10am-6pm (in other words: no fronts passing through...)
-waves below 2 meters.

I looked at mid July through mid September. I was going to plug it into Excel, but didn't have to, the best week was very apparent.

Based upon these criteria, the best week to go is the first week in August.

That's when I put in for vacation at my work, so I can be ready to go if the weather is favorable (and we have chase boats...)

If you'd like to look at the raw data personally, visit:

Kewaunee, WI:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=KWNW3

Mid Lake Buoy:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45002

Big Sable Point, MI:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=BSBM4

Please look for anything I missed or anything of concern, and please let me know if you find anything.

My biggest concern with that week, it that the usual "hot, sticky August" day doesn't have much wind, except at the shoreline. We need a day just with a high pressure system parked over, say MO, IA or S. IL; or a low parked north of lake Superior, with a steady wind.

--Chaz